If you are in the process of looking for or purchasing a new home, there are many things that have to be inspected. Among other things, you want to make sure that the structure and foundation of the house is strong and solid, that the electrical wiring is sound and that there are no plumbing problems. Another important thing to check for is the existence of any moisture which can lead to the growth of dangerous mold and mildew.
When you are seriously considering the purchase of a home, you want to make sure that the house (and especially the basement) is free of moisture. If moisture is present in the home, it can lead to the growth of mold and mildew which can be dangerous to your health as well as cause significant problems that can take a considerable amount of time and money to correct. The only way to be sure of the presence of water is to have the home properly tested for the existence of any moisture. Often times, moisture cannot be detected without professional testing. Professional moisture testing may include any of the following tests:
- Contour Mapping – Contour mapping program shows the estimated moisture content throughout the entire floor layout.
- Thermal Imaging – A specialized thermal imaging camera is used to detect moisture buildup inside walls, using differences in temperature. It can find leaks in ceilings, prevent the buildup of mold, find water leaks, and detect moisture buildup behind walls.
- Calcium Chloride Test – This test is used to determine the rate of moisture emitted from a concrete slab.
- Hood Test – This test determines the relative humidity above the surface of a concrete slab
- Core Testing – This testing consists of drilling a portion of the concrete slab out and sending it to a lab for testing. The results help determine if certain contaminants are present in the slab
- F2170 Concrete In-Situ RH – This test determine the relative humidity in a concrete slab.
If you suspect that the basement (or any room) in the home that you are purchasing, has an excessive and unhealthy amount of moisture, consult with a professional to conduct the appropriate moisture testing for the home. If water and moisture are detected, you may be able to ask the current homeowner to make the appropriate adjustments to the home before you finalize the sale.
Advanced Moisture Testing provides high quality and extremely accurate moisture testing to customers throughout New York and the tristate area. Advanced Moisture Testing provides high quality moisture testing services for homeowner, contractors, builders and consumers throughout New York and the tristate area. They are certified by the International Concrete Repair Institute and can perform the proper moisture testing for any surface. If you are concerned about the moisture levels in your current home, a home you are purchasing, or your place of business, call for a consultation today at 631-567-9269 or 631-567-9314.