Mold and Mildew Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

28 Mar Mold and Mildew Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

Mold and Mildew Can Be Hazardous To Your HealthIf you notice mold in a damp basement or other area of you home, besides looking ugly and unsightly – it can cause much more serious problems than aesthetics.  It can be dangerous. Mold and mildew thrive in moist, damp environments, but often homeowners may not even realize that mold is growing behind walls, in attics or under their carpets. Although mold and its spores are literally everywhere, active mold growth requires moisture – and sometimes that moisture may not be so easy to detect.

Illnesses caused by mold and mildew often go undiagnosed because the homeowners may not even realize that they have mold growing in their home. The most common health problems caused by mold and mildew are related to respiratory issues. Children and the elderly are more sensitive to mildew, but the symptoms can show up in anyone who is exposed. Allergy-like symptoms including runny nose and watery, itchy eyes are common. Some people may experience sneezing, wheezing and difficulty breathing. Nasal congestion and coughing are also possible. If these symptoms don’t disappear after two weeks, they may be the result of prolonged mold exposure, rather than a case of the common cold. People who have asthma are also particularly susceptible to respiratory complications when exposed to mildew over a prolonged period of time.  In addition, anyone with a weak or compromised immune system may be susceptible to lung and respiratory infections after exposure to mildew.

According to The National Capital Poison Center, “Homes and structures often provide many opportunities for mold spores to grow, even in the absence of frank water leaks.  Water seepage through foundation walls and cellar floors, dehumidifiers and air conditioners, window condensation, defective plumbing, damp bathrooms, air filters, and potted plants can all be sources of mold growth in the home. Different types of mold spores can also thrive on different surfaces.” In addition to causing health problems, mold, mildew and moisture can damage the structure and foundation of your home and can cause significant problems that take a considerable amount of time and money to correct. The experts at the Poison Center go on to add, “Mold growth in homes, schools, and businesses should be eliminated for the sake of human health, structural integrity, and quality of life.”

Instead of reacting to the presence of mold, it is best to be proactive before any mold begins to grow by testing your home for the presence of water and moisture. The only way to be sure of the presence of water is to have the home properly tested for the existence of any moisture. The best way to detect any water or moisture in your home is with professional testing. If you see mold or suspect the presence of water and moisture in your home, consult with a professional moisture testing company like Advanced Moisture Testing.

Advanced Moisture Testing provides high quality and extremely accurate moisture testing to customers throughout New York and the tristate area. Advanced Moisture Testing provides high quality moisture testing services for homeowners, contractors, builders and consumers throughout New York and the tristate area. They are certified by the  International Concrete Repair Institute  and they can perform the proper moisture testing for any surface.  If you are concerned about the moisture levels in your current home or place of business, call for a consultation today at 631-567-9269 or 631-567-9314.

No Comments

Post A Comment